Butternut Squash Soup
This page may contain affiliate links. Learn More.
Soup! I love it! One of my favorite soup recipe ideas is this butternut squash soup. I love butternut any way you make it, but this creamy, cozy, flavorful soup is one of the best ways to enjoy it!
When I’m lucky enough to beat the squash bugs to the butternut in the garden, it’s even better with homegrown. But it’s delish even made with the pre-cubed butternut squash you can get in the stores now.
For more yummy veggie inspiration, check these out:
Garlic parmesan roasted broccoli
Air roasted vegetables with garlic bread seasoning
Brussel sprout and sweet potato saute
Honey roasted parsnips, carrots, and potatoes
World famous green bean recipe
Butternut squash soup with veggies
I have always enjoyed butternut squash, but I had never had it made into soup until a few years ago. I was in love at first bite for sure! I make it all the time now and in many variations. It’s a tough nut to crack, you can chop your hands off preparing it, but it’s so worth it!
If you have trouble peeling and chopping the squash, you can toss it in the oven on 350 for about 30 minutes and then take it out and process it. I started doing this with all my hard squashes a couple of years ago and I still have all my fingers, so yay.
If you don’t precook it, make sure to trim a little slice off the bottom and cut the stem end off the top, so you have a stable base to cut on and you’re not trying to cut through that stem. Then you can peel it with a really sturdy vegetable peeler and start cutting it up.
Once the squash is ready, the soup is very easy to make! You can make it on the stove, in the instant pot, in a crockpot, or whatever. It’s best to roast the squash first because it gives it the most magnificent flavor. You won’t regret taking the time to roast it.
I’m a soup connoisseur, so I know soups. Here are some more quick and easy soup ideas, and soup ideas for dinner.
Roasted butternut squash and carrot soup
I added carrots to this soup to bring out more complex flavors than just one veggie does. You can go all butternut if you want, or combine them as I did. I love it either way! I also love it with cauliflower as in this cauliflower butternut squash soup. And try this asian inspired butternut squash soup with lemon and coconut flavors.
Roasted Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup
- 6 slices bacon, cut in small pieces
- 4 c butternut squash, cubed
- 2 T coconut oil
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 6 shallots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4-5 c chicken stock
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 T fresh sage, chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 T butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream for garnish
- Melt coconut oil and toss with chopped carrots and butternut squash.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss again.
- Roast in the oven at 450 for 40-50 minutes until edges start to brown and veggies are fork tender.
- In a soup pot, cook bacon pieces until browned.
- Remove from pan, leaving fat in the pan and drain bacon on a paper towel.
- Add shallots and celery to the bacon fat in the pan and cook until tender and translucent.
- Add seasonings, herbs, and roasted vegetables, and garlic.
- Cook for a minute or two to release aromatics and then add chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil and boil for a few minutes.
- Carefully ladle some of the hot soup into blender, being careful to not fill it over half full. Cover the top with a towel and slowly begin to blend. If you go too fast, the heat will cause it to blow out of the blender and make a mess and you could get burned.
- Once it's blended smooth, pour it back into the pan and ladle some more into the blender and repeat until about 2/3 of the chunks are fully blended. You want to leave a few chunks remaining.
- Add the butter to the soup and stir it in.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream in each bowl.
Keto butternut squash soup
You can easily make this soup keto by reducing the number of carrots or doing all butternut as I mentioned above. Butternut is a great food for a keto diet. Carrots can be keto, but you have to limit them.
Can you freeze butternut squash soup?
Butternut squash soup freezes great. It will freeze even better if you leave the cream out and add it when you thaw. But even with cream, you get a decent texture from this butternut squash soup.
Any way you do it, just eat some yummy butternut, because it’s so good, and it’s really good for you! Happy eating.
More soup ideas: