Roasted Summer Squash Soup
This page may contain affiliate links. Learn More.
Roasted summer squash soup will blow your mind with flavor. It’s amazing how this soup transforms the summer squash and makes a great soup recipe idea for dinner tonight.
A touch of real maple syrup makes this roasted summer squash soup a recipe you’ll want to make with your excess summer squash over and over again. A creamy soup with crunchy bits that give you all the textures to enjoy. For more meatless meal ideas, click here.
Summer Squash Recipes
Summer squash comes in a variety of types, such as zucchini, crookneck, straight neck, and scallop. You can use any of the above, but I recommend the yellow varieties for this roasted summer squash soup.
Summer squash is full of nutrients including vitamin A and C, along with manganese, folate, magnesium, potassium, and fiber. Most of the nutrients are in the skin of summer squash, so keep the skin on. Most people don’t know that the seeds of summer squash have anti-inflammatory effects and contain Omega 3 fatty acids.
When you imagine a squash soup, you’re probably thinking of buttery butternut, but you’re going to be amazed at the flavor of this soup.
Roasted yellow squash and zucchini
Roasting any vegetable brings out all the nuances in its flavor. You’re going to love the depth of flavor roasting zucchini or yellow squash gives your dishes. Then when you use that roasted summer squash in a recipe such as a casserole or soup, it makes the whole thing sing with flavor!
Check out this recipe for roasted broccoli that my kids beg for over and over again. And you can even roast vegetables in your air fryer. Roasted zucchini with feta and balsamic is a real treat too. Or for more garden veggie inspiration, check these out:
Brussel sprout and sweet potato saute
Honey roasted parsnips, carrots, and potatoes
World famous green bean recipe
Butternut squash soup
Yellow squash soup
Roasted Summer Squash Soup
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 medium summer sqaush, chopped into cubes
- 3 T olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 c chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 T maple syrup
- 2 T toasted coconut
- 2 T toasted sunflower seeds
- juice of one lime
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Toss squash with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste
- Arrange on a baking sheet and bake 40 minutes
- While squash is cooking, put 1 T olive oil in a soup pot and slowly sweat onions until soft
- Add squash to onions
- Toss the coconut and sunflower seeds on the sheet pan and put them in the warm oven as it cools to toast them
- To soup pot, add coconut milk, broth, garlic, and maple syrup, plus salt and pepper to taste
- Cook on low simmer for about 20 minutes
- Transfer half to blender and blend well, return to pot (make sure you start the blender slowly and cover with a towel so you don't get burned if it spatters
- Transfer half to blender and blend well again
- Return to pot again and stir
- Serve with coconut and sunflower seeds sprinkled on top and add a squirt of lime juice to finish
Can you freeze squash soup?
You can most definitely freeze this roasted summer squash soup! Coconut milk is the only thing in it that may change in texture. Depending on the brand and the amount of fat in your coconut milk, your soup might thaw out a bit more watery, but you can either cook it down to thicken it up or enjoy it the way it is.
Make sure you freeze the soup in air-tight packaging. I like to use mason jars or plastic deli containers. I freeze my soup in quarts so I can thaw it out in about one meal portion for my husband and me. If I’m thawing soup for the daycare kids, I thaw two since there are so many of us.
Then you can just set it in the fridge the night before and let it thaw overnight. It’s ready to heat and eat the next day! Always make sure to label your soup with the kind and the date because later when you have more than one frozen soup, it’s really hard to tell what kind it is frozen.
It will probably separate a bit as it thaws, but once you stir it, it will be back to a super yummy consistency.
For a lighter summer squash soup, check out this Chicken Summer Squash Soup.
More meatless meal ideas:
More soup recipes:
I didn’t see what to do with the garlic and the lime
Oh my! I left those out of the instructions. It’s fixed now. Thank you!