This page may contain affiliate links. Learn More.
Well-made meatloaf is bomb! It’s cheap, easy, delicious, and can be made ahead, frozen, or made right then. This bbq make-ahead freezer meatloaf is going to be your favorite freezer meal to have on hand.
This BBQ meatloaf is my favorite meatloaf to make. It’s tender and juicy on the inside, and sweet and tany on the outside with a touch of spice. It will double, or triple, or whatever you need. I like to make a bunch at once and cook one and freeze the others for later quick meals. I have also made it in muffin tins.
I make my own homemade BBQ sauce with this recipe so I know just what’s in it.
BBQ Meatloaf Sheet Pan Meal
For a full size meatloaf, I prefer to free form it on a sheet pan for three reasons:
- It cooks more evenly and stays more moist on the inside because it is flatter and cooks all at the same time.
- It has more of the caramelized outside that is my favorite part.
- Part way through cooking, I can add a side veg on the same pan and have a one pan meal.
It’s really easy to hide vegetables in a recipe like this. I add veggies to my meatloaf most of the time. You can shred up about 1/2 cup of most any veggie and mix it into the mix. If you use a really wet vegetable such as squash, you need to add 1-2 more tablespoons of oatmeal. Hiding veggies is a great tip for picky eaters. Just make sure they are grated finely.
Wet veggies you can add are zucchini, yellow squash, spinach, or eggplant. Dryer veggies you can add are green peppers, mushrooms, or carrots. Even celery if you can dice it finely enough. They won’t be detected at all. I’m an expert, I promise it works.
You can also use puree. I use a lot of butternut or pumpkin puree in my meatloaf to add more nutrients. And don’t forget you can add green powder as well. Click here to see how I make it.
If I’m going to use the meatloaf as a freezer meal, I wrap it well uncooked and freeze it. Then stick it in the fridge the night before I’m going to cook it, so all I have to do is add the glaze and bake.
I wrap mine with press and seal or plastic wrap and then a layer of tightly sealed foil or a zip bag on the outside of that. It will last for 2-3 months in the freezer that way.
What goes with meatloaf?
Cook the meatloaf part way, then toss a side veg on the pan and finish cooking it and you’ll only have one pan to wash. I love cooking like that. I like to use squash, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, chunked up sweet or white potatoes, and veggies like that. You can also use a baked potato or mashed potatoes as a side instead.
Recipe for BBQ meatloaf
BBQ Make-Ahead Freezer Meatloaf
- 1 ½ lb. Ground beef
- ¼ C. oatmeal
- 1 Large egg
- ½ Onion chopped
- 1/2 C. Bbq sauce
- ½ tsp. Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 C. Fresh broccoli florets
- 2 Tbsp. Melted butter
- 2 tsp. Minced garlic
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix together the ground beef, oatmeal, egg, onion, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl.
- Knead with your hands until just combined.
- Form the meat mixture into a loaf.
- Top with the bbq sauce and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- In a bowl, toss the broccoli in the butter and minced garlic.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven and add the broccoli florets.
- Bake for another 15-20 minutes until the broccoli is to your liking, and the meat is cooked through.
For more quick and easy dinner ideas that are freezer meals, check this out.