This page may contain affiliate links. Learn More.
Sausage cabbage rolls are warm, comforting, and full of wonderful flavor. They are a one-pot wonder that will make getting dinner on the table easier than you think.
One-pot cabbage casserole
You only have to use one pot to make cabbage rolls which make fewer dishes. I love easy dinner ideas like this. I rolled the cabbage, but you don’t even have to do that. You can layer it with the meat in between like lasagna and save even more time getting dinner ready.
You can make cabbage rolls with any meat, beef, lamb, pork, or really anything. I chose sausage because it’s so flavorful already.
Tomato free cabbage rolls
I am allergic to nightshades, so I had to come up with a way to make them that didn’t involve tomatoes. These were so flavorful and robust that I never missed the tomato part of the sauce. I hope you will try them, with or without tomatoes, whatever is best for you and your family.
Sausage cabbage rolls without nighshades
Sausage Cabbage Rolls-Nightshade Free
- t tsp sea salt
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 lb blue and gold sausage or sausage of your choice
- 1 1/4 c rice
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 c chicken stock
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- In a large pot combine 10 cups of water with 1 tsp salt.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add the cabbage and loosen leaves as the head softens.
- Set them in a bowl of ice water.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine sausage, rice, oil, onion and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Place a spoonful of meat in each cabbage leaf.
- Fold the sides over the filling and roll from one end to create a tight roll.
- Place the cabbage roll seam side down in the empty stockpot. Repeat until all meat is used.
- Pour chicken stock into the pot.
- Cook over medium high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to low and cover and simmer one hour.
Greek cabbage rolls
For a Greek flavor, you would use beef or lamb, and herbs like dill, mint, and parsley. Lebanese stuffed cabbage rolls call for cinnamon. They also both use rice.
German stuffed cabbage rolls
To make the cabbage rolls German, use breadcrumbs instead of rice. They usually call for beef or pork for the meat. For seasoning, there is paprika and black pepper. Whatever style of rolls you make; they all call for tomato. So, mine are different than any of these.
Sides for cabbage rolls
Depending on what you like, you could serve just about anything with cabbage rolls for a wonderful meal. They could be a meal on their own. You could serve them with crusty bread. You could also roast or sauté some vegetables that have been cubed up into bite-sized pieces.
Glazed carrots would be good. Of course, sauerkraut or mashed potatoes would be great. Mixed bean salad would go well. Sliced cucumbers would be great. Your imagination is the limit. Serve what your family enjoys.
Nightshade free recipes
Blue and Gold Sausage Recipes
For more recipes with Blue and Gold Sausage, check these out:
- Rotel Dip with Real Cheese
- Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Sausage and Potato Empanadas
- Sausage Balls Without Bisquick
- Old Fashioned Sausage Gravy
For more Cabbage Recipes, check these out: