This page may contain affiliate links. Learn More.
Wanna make THE BEST cabbage recipe ever? Check this out. If you think you don’t like cabbage, I bet if you tried this you would change your mind. It’s super easy to grow in fall or spring.
If you’re short on prep time, a super easy way to cook cabbage is to wash the head and slice it into one-inch slices. Lay them on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper and some dill or other herbs you like. Bake at 350 until edges are slightly browned and it is crisp-tender.
You could also do this on the grill. It would add an amazing flavor. I love finding ways to make cabbage recipes kid-friendly.
My favorite way to prepare cabbage is a light sauté. It’s a delicious addition to soups, stir-frys, and other dishes, but as a side dish, this one will make your mouth sing! The key to cabbage is not to cook it too much. This makes it have a terribly slimy and mushy texture.
Sauteed cabbage recipe
When cooking green vegetables of any kind, the key is to cook them until they are the brightest green. Once they go past that, they take on sort of a grey texture, and before they are pale green. Bright green is an indicator of cooked perfection. It’s when they taste best and have the best texture.
For more yummy veggie recipes from what you grow in your garden, check these out:
- Garlic parmesan roasted broccoli
- Air roasted vegetables with garlic bread seasoning
- Brussel sprout and sweet potato saute
- Honey roasted parsnips, carrots, and potatoes
- World famous green bean recipe
- Roasted summer squash soup
- Butternut squash soup
Cabbage is a very healthy green. Keep reading to find the best cabbage recipe ever!
Trust me, bright green cabbage rocks! This is THE BEST cabbage recipe!
You can cook this with bacon or without, either way, it’s a winner! If you want to use bacon, cut your bacon into small pieces and brown it in a skillet, then remove the bacon and use the bacon fat instead of using the butter in the recipe. Then sprinkle the bacon on top at the end.
Best Cabbage Recipes
- 1 large head cabbage
- 2 slices bacon chopped up into small pieces (optional)
- 1 large onion cut in half and sliced thinly
- 1 tsp. dried dill
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 2 T. butter
- Slice cabbage thinly.
- Heat butter in a skillet. (or cook bacon and remove and use the bacon fat)
- Cook onion in butter until soft.
- Add cabbage, salt, pepper and dill.
- Cook on medium heat until cabbage is bright green.
For more yummy cabbage ideas, check these out: