This page may contain affiliate links. Learn More.
Make Rotel dip with real cheese for your next party. This real cheese party food is made with cheddar, Monterrey jack, cream cheese, and spicy, healthy homemade Rotel. It’s our favorite queso dip and it’s made with real food so you don’t have to worry about the junky ingredients in processed cheese food! It’s a great Rotel recipe you’re going to want to keep!
Velveeta, while creamy and tasty, is full of all kinds of ingredients that are really bad for your health. It’s not food. It’s just chemicals and whey, not really cheese at all. And your family is worth more than that. When it’s time to throw a Super Bowl party or other gathering, it’s hard to stay away from those chemicals, but you are worth it.
Every commercial on tv shows us ways to make convenience foods like frozen breakfast, and microwave snacks, but we need to whip up some healthier snacks for our next celebration.
This cheesy dip is full of nutrients, it doesn’t take long to make, and it will still make fun memories of your gathering. Plus, it’s delicious! This Rotel queso dip uses real cheese and quality ingredients and it will make your taste buds sing!
For all the best homemade dressing, dip, and sauce recipes check this out.
You can use a can of Rotel, no problem. It has minimal ingredients and brings the flavor, but you can also make homemade Rotel if you have a bunch of extra tomatoes and peppers. Ours is linked in the intro in the highlighted link for Rotel tomatoes. You’re gonna love it!
Ingredients for Rotel Dip
The creaminess of our Rotel dip comes from shredded cheddar, Monterrey jack, and cream cheese. This paired with a roux made of butter, flour, and whole milk makes the sauce have body and creaminess. One tip is to make sure you don’t use pre-shredded cheese because it won’t melt like freshly shredded.
Pre shredded cheese is dusted with cellulose (or sawdust) to keep it from sticking together. (Let’s all serve our families a spoon full of wood for dinner, no thanks)
Another tip is to make sure you use a really tasty sausage. This blue and gold sausage is second to none. You don’t want to skip the flavor, so make sure you get blue and gold if you can. If not, Jimmy Dean sausage makes a pretty good second choice.
Adding the cup of cut-up spinach is an extra nutrient booster but I promise it doesn’t change the flavor at all. I would venture to say no one might even notice it in there. I love adding spinach to as much as I can because it’s great and adding nutrition without being noticed. Just don’t add too much and it probably won’t be detected.
This dip is gluten-free and low carb on its own. You can dip grain-free items in it if you want or use tortilla chips if that’s your bag. Either way, it’s WONDERFUL!
Rotel Dip with Real Cheese (No Velveeta)
- 1 lb blue and gold sausage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 c whole milk
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes (or 1 bag of frozen homemade Rotel)
- 1 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c shredded monterrey jack
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 c chopped spinach
- In a medium saucepan, brown the blue and gold sausage
- Add the butter and flour and cook and stir until it begins to brown
- Add the milk and rotel with the juice
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture begins to thicken
- Add cream cheese and cook and stir until it melts in
- Add shredded cheeses a handful at a time and stir in until well blended before you add another handful
- Once all cheese is melted and smooth, it's ready to serve or put in a crockpot to keep warm
- Serve with chips or whatever you want to dip in it
For more yummy recipes with spicy homemade Rotel, check these out:
- Rotel Slow Cooker Pork Chops
- Spicy Creamy Tuna Mac and Cheese
- Easy Inexpensive Taco Soup
- 4 Ingredient Rotel Chili
- Smokey Pork Soup with Leftover Pulled Pork
- Chicken rotel spaghetti without Velveeta
For more recipes with blue and gold sausage, check these out: