This page may contain affiliate links. Learn More.
There’s nothing better than throwing together a quick meal with some leftover chicken (or other meat). This mini leftover chicken pot pie recipe is one of my favorites! You can cook one whole chicken and make 3 wonderful meals saving you a ton of money and time!
Cooking with leftovers is a huge saver of all your resources. I love to make anything that can be made in bulk and frozen. Things that can be made with larger pieces of big meat like a cheap pork roast that you can make into 5 meals, or getting a whole chicken or turkey on sale and making tons of quick dinners with it.
Leftover chicken recipes are my jam! You can freeze the cooked meat in portions and pull them out when you need them. If you haven’t cooked whole pieces of meat before, check out how to cook a whole chicken or turkey here.
For more freezer meal ideas, check these out:
These Mini Leftover Chicken Pot Pies are the perfect portion of your favorite comfort food! In just a few minutes, you will have a budget-friendly easy dinner the whole family will love.
Pie dough for chicken pot pie
Usually, you use pie crust to make leftover chicken pot pie, but if you need a shortcut, you can do them with puff pastry like I did. You can also use crescent roll dough, like the kind in the can. Whatever works to get the job done.
You can make homemade pie crust like the Pioneer Woman (this is my favorite pie crust recipe on the planet) or you can buy pie crust that’s store-bought. Even Ree won’t fault you for that. Just do what works!
Using puff pastry and leftover chicken helps you get this meal on the table in just a few minutes. And these are customizable so you can make everyone in the family happy.
It’s perfectly fine to make a big pie and cut it in slices too. You can make the filling up to three days ahead and then slap it into a crust of your choice in a pinch. Or you can make the whole thing and bake it and then store it. Just cover it and heat at 350 for 10-15 minutes to be ready to eat.
Don’t forget you can use leftover turkey or ham or whatever you got instead of chicken. Even pork roast makes a great pot pie. And if you want potatoes or whatever other veggie in your pot pie, go for it!
Kids love these and for more kid-friendly chicken recipes, click here.
How to cook chicken pot pie in air fryer
I have the Ninja Foodi Air Fryer Oven and I LOVE it! You can cook anything, including these adorable pot pies in it. Just set it on bake and bake it just as the recipes states. You can air fry for the last few minutes to get a super crispy crust if you want to also.
Ninja Foodi chicken pot pie
Mini Leftover Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 package Puff pastry
- 1 cup Chopped chicken
- 1 cup Frozen carrot and pea mixture, thawed
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 cup Chicken stock
- 1 cup Whole milk
- 1 tsp Garlic salt
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Sage
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Shredded cheese
- Thaw puffed pastry in the fridge over night.
- Heat the butter in a skillet on medium heat.
- Add flour and stir until it starts to brown just a touch.
- Add chicken stock, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and sage and stir constantly until it just begins to thicken.
- Add chicken and carrots and peas.
- Stir together until everything is warmed through and then mix in the cheese. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Cut pastry dough into squares and put it in muffin tins.
- Put the filling inside the dough. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 35 minutes or until pastry is perfectly crispy and browned on the edges.
What to do with leftover chicken
For more leftover chicken ideas, check these out:
- Chicken Butternut Squash Lasagna
- Chicken Artichoke and Wild Rice Casserole
- Chicken Artichoke and Spinach Manicotti
- Crack Chicken Spaghetti Squash
- Freezer Chicken Burritos