This page may contain affiliate links. Learn More.
Whether you’re a busy parent looking for an easy dinner idea or a caregiver trying to please picky eaters, these kid friendly shredded chicken recipes are sure to delight young palates.
Recipes using shredded chicken
Shredded or leftover chicken is a great solution for picky eating too. From cheesy quesadillas to tasty tacos and comforting casseroles, we’ve got a lineup of mouthwatering ideas that will make mealtime a breeze and put smiles on your children’s faces. I love to roast up a whole chicken and use it to make a ton of meals.
Shredded chicken is a versatile ingredient that can be the star of many kid-friendly recipes. Here are some ideas that your kids might enjoy:
Leftover shredded chicken recipes
- Leftover Chicken Quesadillas: Spread shredded chicken and shredded cheese between two tortillas and cook until the cheese is melted and the tortillas are crispy. Cut into wedges and serve with salsa or guacamole.
- Chicken and Rice Casserole: Mix shredded chicken with cooked rice, frozen mixed vegetables, and a few other ingredients for the sauce. Top with shredded cheese and bake until bubbly and golden brown.
- Chicken Sandwiches: Make shredded chicken sandwiches by mixing the chicken with mayonnaise, mustard, and diced pickles. Serve on hamburger buns with lettuce and tomato.
- Chicken and Vegetable Stir-Fry: Stir-fry shredded chicken with a mix of kid-friendly vegetables like bell peppers, broccoli, and carrots in a simple soy sauce and honey glaze. Serve over rice or noodles.
- BBQ Chicken Sliders: Mix shredded chicken with barbecue sauce and serve on mini slider buns with coleslaw for a tangy and satisfying sandwich.
- Mini Chicken Pot Pie: Use shredded chicken, mixed vegetables, and a creamy chicken sauce to fill mini pie crusts. Bake until golden brown and serve as individual pot pies.
- Chicken Tacos: Make shredded chicken taco filling by mixing shredded chicken with taco seasoning. Serve with soft tortillas, lettuce, diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, and sour cream. Kids can assemble their own tacos.
Shredded chicken recipes for kids
- Make Ahead Freezer Chicken Burritos are easy to make in bulk and freeze. Freezer meals are my bag! They are full of flavor, can be made with leftover meat or meat that is made fresh, and pay off with big flavor. Kids love them!
- Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos are super cinchy to make and don’t take a lot of time or space using the air fryer. They are so crispy and good and easy for kids to hold on to.
- Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo Pasta: Mix shredded chicken and steamed broccoli into cooked pasta, and toss with a creamy Alfredo sauce. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Chicken and Cheese Tater Tot Casserole: Layer shredded chicken, shredded cheese, and tater tots in a baking dish. Bake until the tater tots are crispy and the cheese is bubbly.
- Creamy Chicken Enchiladas with Leftover Chicken are so good and so filling. They have familiar taco flavors that kids love too!
- Chicken Rotel Spaghetti is creamy and so flavorful. Kids love this chicken dish!
Easy shredded chicken recipes
- Chicken Fried Rice with Leftover Chicken is quick and easy and a great way to use up more leftover shredded chicken. It’s so good and kids love it!
- Chicken and Cheese Stuffed Baked Potatoes: Bake potatoes until tender, then scoop out the flesh and mix it with shredded chicken, cheddar cheese, and a little sour cream. Stuff the mixture back into the potato skins and bake until heated through.
- Chicken and Veggie Pita Pockets: Fill whole wheat pita pockets with shredded chicken, sliced cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, and a yogurt-based dressing for a healthy and tasty lunch option.
- Chicken and Broccoli Mac and Cheese: Add shredded chicken and steamed broccoli to your favorite macaroni and cheese recipe. This adds extra protein and veggies to the dish.
- Chicken Pot Pie Stew is so creamy and hearty and kids always love soup! It’s easy to whip this one up using some shredded chicken too!
These recipes can be adapted to suit your kids’ preferences, and they provide a tasty way to incorporate shredded chicken into their meals. But they have proven to be crowd pleasers with my kids, even the picky ones for decades of serving meals at my home daycare.
For more kid friendly chicken ideas, check these out: