This page may contain affiliate links. Learn More.
I always love a good freezer meal, and this chicken broccoli rice casserole is DELISH! It’s good ole comfort food. Rich, creamy, and flavorful!
Make ahead freezer meals
You can double this recipe, triple it, or more. I love to make a big ole batch of food at once because if you’re making a mess to cook, you might as well save time later by making more than one batch. And for more easy frugal family dinner ideas, check this out.
If you are freezing the meal, once you have it mixed, line a casserole dish with aluminum foil and let extra hang over the edges that you can fold over the top, dump the mixture in and cover it. Freeze. Once it’s frozen solid, pop the casserole out and wrap it in plastic wrap. It will keep in the freezer for about 3 months.
This method keeps you from losing all your casserole dishes, but you still don’t have to buy those aluminum pans, just use what you have. The aluminum pans are fine too, of course, but I love doing this because they stack in the freezer better.
When you are ready to thaw it out, set it in the fridge in the morning and then warm it in a 350 degree oven until the middle is hot.
- Broccoli recipe for kids
- Garlic parmesan roasted broccoli
- Broccoli salad
- Broccoli sweet potato soup with leftover pork
- Broccoli cheddar soup
For more quick and easy freezer meals, check these out!
Broccoli rice casserole
Make Ahead Freezer Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 4 chicken breasts diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 c rice
- 1/2 c butter
- 2 c chicken stock
- 3 c whole milk
- 1/2 c flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 12 oz frozen broccoli cooked
- 3 c shredded cheddar cheese
- If you are not freezing this meal, preheat your oven to 350.
- In a saucepan, add the butter over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted, add the flour and stir and cook until it just starts to brown.
- Add the stock and milk all at once.
- Cook and stir continuously until mixture thickens. If it's too thick, add more stock or milk. If it's too thin, keep cooking until it's the desired thickness like soup.
- Season with salt and pepper and set to the side.
- Place 4 cups of water in a large pot and heat over medium high heat.
- Once the water boils, add in your rice and a pinch of salt and reduce to simmer.
- Cover the rice.
- Check rice for doneness at 18 minutes.
- Remove from heat and leave lid on for another 5-10 minutes.
- Fluff up rice.
- While the rice is cooking, place a skillet over medium heat.
- Add olive oil and your diced chicken.
- Sprinkle on a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Saute until browned.
- In a large bowl or a 9 x 13 casserole dish, add rice, cooked chicken, broccoli, thyme, and sauce.
- Mix everything until combined.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cover your casserole dish.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes.
This broccoli rice casserole is so satisfying and good. It’s comfort food that sticks to your ribs. And my kids do great with rice dishes. Rice is really inexpensive, so it can make a dirt cheap meal for your daycare kids.
For more ideas on what to do with rice, check this out: