This page may contain affiliate links. Learn More.
Oven Chicken and Rice Casserole is a great one pot meal for dinner tonight. It’s an easy dinner idea that you prep and set in the oven while you work on homework, housework, or whatever.
Roasted chicken rice
I love a one pot wonder that doesn’t fill the whole kitchen with dirty dishes. I also love me some comfort food. So this oven chicken and rice casserole fits the bill on both parts. I love to make a huge batch and have it for several dinners. It’s also good to freeze if you want to save some for later.
For more ideas on make ahead meals that freeze well, check these out:
- Freezer Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Make Ahead Freezer Stir Fry
- Make Ahead Freezer Meals BBQ Pulled Pork
- Make Ahead Freezer Chicken Burritos
- BBQ Make-Ahead Freezer Meatloaf
I like to use bone in chicken because it gives the dish more flavor, but if you have boneless, that works too. Thighs are the most flavorful, but you can use legs, breast, or whatever chicken parts you like. You can even cut up a whole chicken and use a variety.
Baked chicken and rice without canned soup
We try to avoid chemicals around here, so we don’t do canned cream of soups. This recipe is flavorful and so satisfying and it uses few ingredients without having to use those soups. And I guarantee the flavor is far better! Those soups don’t actually taste like much but salt.
Rice is inexpensive and it makes a meal filling, so this meal doesn’t break the bank. We all need money saving ideas and chicken thighs are also less expensive than many other meats. Check out these other ideas for money saving meals:
- Garlic Honey Ninja Foodi Chicken Thighs
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Lemon Chicken Thighs
- Easy Frugal Family Dinners
- Chicken Fried Rice with Leftover Chicken
- Leftover Chicken: How to Cook a Whole Chicken to Make 3 Meals
- Sheet Pan Greek Chicken
Anyways, this chicken and rice casserole is easy to throw together and pop in the oven with not much fussing about. And it can make and easy and Cheap Lunch Ideas for Daycare too.
Chicken and rice with thighs
Oven Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 5 Chicken thighs
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Peel the onion and garlic and chop finely
- Mix salt and spices.
- In a 9 x 13 casserole dish, mix onion, garlic, rice and butter.
- Top with thighs.
- Sprinkle the spices on top.
- Add the stock and cover with foil.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until chicken is 165 internally.
- Remove the foil, brush the chicken with oil and cook in the oven for another 10 minutes.