This page may contain affiliate links. Learn More.
These creamy chicken enchiladas can be made with leftover chicken, rotisserie chicken, or even canned chicken and you’ll have dinner ready in no time. They are cheesy, creamy, and luscious made with sour cream and cheese.
Easy chicken enchiladas
This dish is cheesy, creamy, and absolutely satisfying. It’s a favorite easy dinner idea. I love anything I can make out of last night’s leftover chicken! It’s an art to recreate them into something new. And I really love it when it can come together in minutes. You can make the roux or used canned cream of chicken soup if you want to save even more time (but it won’t be quite as good). And for more easy frugal family dinner ideas, check this out.
If you want to, you can use everything canned for these enchiladas. But of course, roasting your own whole chicken and making a homemade roux for the creamy sauce is going to yield a far better version!
You are also more than welcome to double the cheese if you want a stringier cheesier experience. This amount is just perfect for us!
Either flour or corn tortillas work for enchiladas! Corn tortillas are traditionally used when making enchiladas.
This yummy family meal is incredibly filling, especially if served with a side of refried beans and Spanish rice. You can customize it however you’d like with the spices and herbs of your choice. Adding some homemade taco seasoning to the mix would be awesome too. Or some spicy salsa or cayenne pepper. It depends on how much spice you can handle! I feed toddlers and have the spice tolerance of one, so I’m super low on the heat index!
For a great topping, try this Mexican ranch dressing drizzle.
For more leftover chicken favorites, check these out:
- Mini leftover chicken pot pies
- Leftover chicken pasta (any of the flavors in this one would be great with chicken)
- Chicken noodle soup
For more chicken recipe ideas, check these out:
- Quick and easy dinner ideas with chicken
- Kid-friendly chicken ideas
- Air fryer chicken recipes
- How to cook a whole chicken, turkey, or duck
Check out these enchiladas too:
Creamy chicken enchiladas
Creamy Leftover Chicken Enchiladas
- 3 T. butter
- ½ large onion chopped
- 2 small hot peppers chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 T. flour
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 2 c. chicken stock
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 2 cups cheese I used mozzarella and cheddar because that’s what I had on hand
- 12 corn tortillas
- Melt butter in skillet
- Add onions, peppers, salt, pepper and garlic
- Cook until onions are tender
- Add flour and stir until flour is slightly brown
- Add sour cream and stock all at once
- Cook and stir until thick and bubbly
- Add chicken and 1 cup cheese
- Stir until combined
- Heat tortillas for one minute in a moist towel in the microwave
- Place a spoonful of filling in tortillas and roll them
- Place them in a casserole dish, seam side down
- When all the enchiladas are rolled, dump the remaining filling on top
- Sprinkle another cup of cheese on top
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until heated through and top is bubbly