This page may contain affiliate links. Learn More.
Wild rice is so different and interesting. I wanted to create a new kind of meal with it, so I came up with this creamy chicken, artichoke, and wild rice casserole and it is amazing!
I love the nutty flavor of wild rice. I made this casserole with all wild rice, but you can also use long grain and wild rice mix that is good. Use whatever you have. For the vegetables, I used what was leftover from the week in my fridge plus a jar of artichoke hearts from my cabinet because that sounded amazing.
I love the flavor combination of parmesan cheese, sage, and artichoke hearts with chicken. I also love recipes that are made with few dishes. This one uses a casserole dish and a skillet. You don’t have to wash an extra rice pan because you bake the rice right in the casserole dish before you put in the cream sauce, chicken, and remaining vegetables.
Black wild rice
Wild rice takes a long time to cook, it’s like brown rice. If you want a quicker cooking casserole, you’re welcome to use the rice you enjoy using. I thought the wild rice was so interesting and nutty in this dish. I would make it this way again.
How healthy is wild rice
But why use wild rice? It’s lower in carbs and higher in nutrients than brown or white rice. It’s better for you.
What is wild rice
Wild rice is a grass that grows in the US. It actually grows in semi-water unlike rice which is grown right in water paddies. It has a firm texture and a nutty flavor. The long black grains are beautiful also. It feels kind of exotic eating it.
I also make a wonderful chicken and wild rice soup that you can check out here. It’s part of what inspired my choices for this casserole.
I love it when I find a meal that will make several servings for us so we can eat it for a few days and don’t have to cook again. Especially when it’s hot outside. I hate cooking then. For more leftover dinner ideas or easy dinner ideas, check out these links.
Where to buy wild rice
I got this wild rice from Imperfect foods, but check your local grocery stores to see if they have it. Ours has the long grain and wild rice combo, but not plain wild rice.
I hope your family loves this as much as we did. It was so creamy and flavorful. You can use whatever veggies you have around or leave out what you don’t like.
Chicken rice artichoke casserole
Chicken, Artichoke, and Wild Rice Casserole
- 1 1/2 c wild rice
- 4 c chicken stock
- 1/2 c water
- 1 c chopped onion
- 1 c chopped carrots
- 1 c chopped celery
- 1 T fresh sage or 1 tsp of dried
- 4 T butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 c flour
- 4 T butter
- 2 c milk
- 1 c sour cream
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 c grated parmesan cheese
- 1 c sliced mushrooms
- 1 jar chopped artichoke hearts and about half the liquid in the jar
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast or thigh cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 350
- Place rice, stock, onion, carrot, celery, sage, 4 T butter and salt and pepper in a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake for about two hours until rice is almost done
- Towards the end of the two hours, start cream sauce
- Put flour and other 4 T butter in a skillet and cook on medium heat and stir until slightly brown
- Dump in milk and sour cream all at once
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly
- Add garlic and parmesan and mix in
- Dump in mushrooms, artichokes, half of the liquid from the jar and chicken
- CAREFULLY remove rice from oven
- Turn oven up to 450
- Mix cream sauce mixture into rice
- Place back in the oven, uncovered and cook 30-40 minutes until chicken is done through.
Don’t forget to pin for later
For more chicken ideas: