This page may contain affiliate links. Learn More.
This easy garlic butter chicken recipe is 20 minute easy dinner idea that your family will love. Learn how to make perfect chicken breast with butter, garlic, and herbs.
Garlic butter chicken cooks a handful of basic ingredients down into a savory butter sauce. It’s quick and easy, perfect for busy weeknights. This recipe is going to be one of your go to meals from now on.
This is one of my favorite recipes for chicken. Cleanup is a breeze because you make it all in one skillet. And I love to make extra because it starts my leftover chicken recipes out with tons of flavor already! It’s buttery, tender, and full of flavor. And you don’t have the mess of dredging the meat.
The steps for making it are so simple:
- Dry the chicken as dry as you can get them with a paper towel. Meat gets a better sear if it’s dry.
- Season both sides with salt, pepper, and dried herbs.
- Heat oil in a skillet (I prefer cast iron) and add chicken. (Oil is hot enough when you can flick a drop of water in it and it spatters, but it’s too hot if it’s smoking)
- Sear on both sides until golden and fully cooked. (Average size chicken breasts take about 6-8 minutes per side) Internal temperature of chicken should be 165.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Deglaze the pan with butter and chicken broth and scrape all the bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce the heat and add the garlic.
- Cook about 1 minute and add the chicken back to the pan, turning it over in the sauce.
Garlic Butter Chicken Variations:
- You can use other herbs in the recipe besides the poultry seasoning. Sage, oregano, and other herbs are delicious as well.
- You can squeeze a lemon into the sauce as well for a bright fresh flavor.
- You can use wine instead of chicken broth.
- You can use different cuts of chicken, or really any meat.
How to store leftover garlic butter chicken
Keep leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. To reheat, cover in foil and bake at 350 for 5-10 minutes until warm.
To freeze leftover chicken, wrap it and place it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 4 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Here are some ideas for sides to go with garlic butter chicken:
- Cucumber and Tomato Salad Recipe
- Cooking with Kids-Broccoli Salad Recipe
- Balsamic Roasted Zucchini with Feta
- Honey Roasted Carrots, Parsnips, and Potatoes
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Cheesy Garlic Butter Noodles
For more chicken ideas, check these out:
- How to Cook a Chicken, Turkey, or Duck
- Ninja Foodi Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Garlic Honey Ninja Foodi Chicken Thighs
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Lemon Chicken Thighs
- 20 Kid-Friendly Chicken Recipes
Chicken with Butter and Garlic
Garlic Butter Chicken
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 2 teaspoon poultry seasoning mix
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Chicken broth
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- Pat the chicken dry. Season with salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning.
- Heat coconut oil in a large iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sear until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the butter and chicken broth to the pan. As the butter melts, scrape the bottom of the pan with a spoon to deglaze the pan.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the garlic and saute for about 1 minute.
- Return the chicken to the pan. Flip once or twice to coat in sauce.
- Serve garlic butter chicken with pan sauce.