This page may contain affiliate links. Learn More.
These oatmeal flavors to make yourself will give you a great variety of breakfast choices. It’s inexpensive and good for you! AND it’s easy! Click here to read about some of oatmeal’s many health benefits.
Oatmeal flavors can be made in tons of different flavors just like the boxed instant oatmeals, but when you add your own wholesome ingredients, it’s much better for you and you know what goes in it is pure.
It’s truly one of my favorite breakfasts. My kids LOVE my oatmeal as well.
Old fashioned rolled oats are a healthful whole grain that can add nutrients to your diet. Oatmeal can be made into other yummy foods such as Monster Cookies and Granola and Granola Bars. It’s cheap, healthy, and delicious! You can also add it to smoothies as well.
Healthy Oatmeal Recipe (EASY and Inexpensive)
I buy my oats in bulk from Honeyville grain. This saves me money but I also love that their food is just pure ingredients. I know they do not have gluten contamination in their oats which is a concern if I have someone over who is gluten intolerant.
Also, shipping is inexpensive. Since I generally purchase 25 or 50 pounds, I want to save as much as possible on shipping. Theirs is a flat rate of $4.99 no matter how heavy your order is. That’s my kind of deal. If you don’t want to buy in bulk, old fashioned rolled oats are available right in the grocery store too.
Homemade flavored oatmeal
To start making my oatmeal, I first put the old-fashioned rolled oats in a pan with some water and let it soak overnight. Soaking helps the grain be more easily digested and it also helps it cook faster in the morning when I am in a rush to get the kids something great to eat.
Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal
I don’t use brown or white sugar, I use raw sugar, honey and maple syrup to sweeten food. Raw sugar has a brown sugar type flavor, so I use that for the brown sugar flavor. For maple and brown sugar oatmeal flavor (my favorite store bought choice) I use 1/4 cup raw sugar and 1/4 cup maple syrup for the oatmeal flavor.
Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
Cut one apple into thin slices and discard the core. Then chop the thin slices into tiny dices of apples. Add this to the oatmeal before you start cooking it and a sprinkle of cinnamon as well.
My favorite homemade oatmeal flavor is blueberry. Those berries burst during cooking and do something amazing to the oats. You can use the same combination of any kind of berries. Raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, even cherries. Whatever you like. Add 1/2 to 1 cup of berries to the pan before you begin cooking. Use the recipe as follows.
Finely dice a fresh peach and add it to the pan before cooking. You could add a sprinkle of cinnamon to this as well if you like.
Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal.
Add 2 Tablespoons of peanut butter to the oatmeal before cooking. Once oatmeal is cooked add one banana that’s been sliced or diced and stir it in.
Vanilla also makes a wonderful different oatmeal flavor. Give it a try, I think you’ll love it. The options are unlimited for oatmeal flavors.
- 2 1/4 c old fashioned rolled oats
- 4 c water
- 1/2 c raw sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 T butter
- For 6 servings of oatmeal, which feeds me and my 7 kids a toddler portion each, I soak 2 1/4 cups of old fashioned rolled oats in 4 cups of water overnight.
- In the morning, I add raw sugar, sea salt, and butter.
- I turn the burner on high and stir while I bring the mixture to a boil. Once it is boiling rapidly, I turn off the heat, put the lid on the pan, and let it set until breakfast time (about 20 mintues).
- You can flavor the oatmeal with 1 cup fruit such as apples, blueberries, peaches or raisins. Put the fruit in when you begin cooking. You can also change the flavor by using the same amount of real maple syrup or honey in place of raw sugar.You can add sesame, sunflower or pumpkin seeds or even pecans to your oatmeal.You can add a pinch of cinnamon with apples or peaches.You can add 1/2 tsp of vanilla or a splash of heavy cream.You can add 2 T peanut butter with or without 2 T cocoa powder.
For more oatmeal ideas, check these out:
- Homemade Granola
- Granola Cups with Yogurt and Fruit
- Ancient Grains Granola
- Homemade Nut Free Granola Bars
Overnight Oat Cheat Sheet
And don’t forget about overnight oats. You just toss them together and you don’t even have to cook it! Check out some of the best combinations in this free printable shared with us by Actionable Wellness.