This page may contain affiliate links. Learn More.
Made from Dollar Store pencils, wiggle eyes, and some felt, this Thing 1 and Thing 2 pencil craft is going to delight your kids! Get creative and handwrite your favorite quotes from the famous book and make some super special Dr. Suess day fun!
Your kids are going to go crazy over this super colorful and fun idea to with Thing 1 and Thing 2. This is a fun activity to keep the kiddos busy with counting, cutting, and motor skills. When you twirl the pencil in between your hands, the hair gets wild just like Thing 1 and Thing 2!
Thing 1 and Thing 2 craft
The first thing you need to do is gather your supplies. These would be great for the kids to make if they are older. Or you could make them as gifts for them. Dr. Suess party favors are so much fun! And Thing 1 and Thing 2 are my favorite Dr. Suess characters. Don’t you just love them? The Cat in the Hat is a great classic!
Now cut some strips of paper and write the sayings from the book on them. Check out the picture below for a cute style you can use.
Then cut your felt into strips and fringe the edges with your scissors. Another cute topping you can make these with is this fake fur you can get on Amazon here.
Then glue the strips of felt fringe or fake fur strips onto the top of the pencil, rolling as you glue.
Next, add the decorations and then glue on the tags. This pencil craft is so adorable. I just can’t get over it!
Thing 1 and Thing 2 Pencil Craft
- Pencils Red – Dollar Store (I scored 12 for just $1.00)
- Wiggle Eyes Dollar Store
- Black and White Bakers Twine Dollar Store
- Markers – Red, Black, and Blue Dollar Store
- Craft Felt Sheet,s 9” by 12” – Brilliant Blue
- Cardstock, White
- Glue Gun and Glue Sticks, or Liquid Craft Glue
- Adhesive Tape Runner, or Glue Stick
- Permanent Marker – Black
- Gather all supplies. Measure strips of Brilliant Blue craft felt 2.5” by 9” using a ruler and permanent marker. Cut out with scissors.
- Cut fringe along the length of each strip, leaving a one-inch solid border along the opposite edge. Measure and cut the fringed strips into 3” sections.
- Apply a bead of glue along the short and long edge of the blue felt fringe and attach to the eraser end of the pencil. Roll the fringe onto the pencil tightly. Apply additional glue from a glue gun on the second short edge to finish the fringe.
- Attach two wiggle eyes to the blue felt fringe with a glue gun and glue sticks.
- Measure and cut strips of white cardstock 1/2″ by 8 1/2″ to create flags. Fold the strip in half around the pencil, to find the center. Hand letter the quote “Why fit in when you were” on the left-hand section with a blue marker, and “born to STAND OUT” on the right-hand section with a red marker. Cut a triangular notch from each end of the flag and then outline each quote with a black marker, using a loose sketchy style.
- Apply adhesive to the back of the flag. Line up the cardstock around the top of the pencil and attach both sides together to create the flag.
- To finish, measure and cut a 20” length of black and white bakers twine and tie in a bow around the top of the pencil.
Dr. Suess preschool activities
Check out this Dr. Suess craft made with craft sticks too, Cat in the Hat Hat Craft.
There are so many fun days you can celebrate in daycare. And there are so many special crafts and activities you can make to make these events really special. Check some of them out in the highlighted links.
It’s a great way to flesh out your home daycare activities to make learning tons of fun at your daycare. Because running a home daycare isn’t the easiest. So we have to find all the great ideas we can. Making our kid’s days fun makes our days fun too!
Dr. Suess dot to dot
Here’s another fun activity to add to your Dr. Suess day. These dot-to-dots are cute and lots of fun. And it’s ready in a snap like these other home daycare activities that are ready in 5 minutes or less. (check out the 5 minute games too!)