This page may contain affiliate links. Learn More.
We love Dr. Suess! His books are fun and colorful. So we used craft sticks to make this cat in the hat hat craft to celebrate Dr. Suess day.
We love to celebrate holidays and special days in daycare. Doing special crafts and activities for different themed days is a fun way to add something new to your home daycare. Creating lesson plans around great stories is another fun way to do it. And don’t forget to check out these other printable activities.
Made from Dollar Store wooden craft sticks and some paint. Get creative and handwrite your favorite quotes from the famous Dr. Seuss book.
For more craft stick projects, check these out:
- How to Make a Catapult from Popsicle Sticks
- Craft Stick Alien Flying Saucers
- Learning Shapes and Colors Alien Activity
- Popsicle Stick Snowflake Ornament
- Pom Pom Christmas Tree Ornaments for Kids to Make
Dr Suess activities for preschool
So we came up with this fun craft stick hat for a cat in the hat celebration. For more Dr. Suess activities, check this out too:
Check out the free printable at the end of the article to give you the poems to add to your project. All you need to do is grab some card stock, paper, paint supplies, glue, and a few other supplies and you’ll be ready. You probably already have most if not all of it on hand. Not only will this craft help keep the kids engaged, but it’ll also help with fine motor skills!
If you want less mess with the kids or your kids are very young, you can prepaint the sticks white and red or buy the already colored ones. This project uses the large tongue depressor size and regular size.
How about this simple and cute popsicle stick Cat in the Hat craft? Dr. Seuss and his zany books have had a huge impact on children over the years! Every child we know loves them and always wants to learn more about this imaginary world his characters live in. So let’s celebrate Read Across America Day with this colorful hat craft!
Cat in the Hat Hat Craft
- Wooden Craft Stick Jumbo one – Dollar Store
- Wooden Craft Stick Regular fifteen – Dollar Store
- Mini Clothespin one – Dollar Store
- Markers – Red Black, and Blue
- Craft Paint – Red and White
- Cardstock White – Scraps
- Glue Gun and Glue Sticks or Liquid Craft Glue
- Gather all supplies. Base coat one jumbo wooden craft stick and six of the regular wooden craft sticks with white craft paint. Let dry and apply a second coat, if necessary. Basecoat nine of the regular wooden craft sticks with red craft paint. Let dry and apply a second coat, if necessary.
- Paint the mini wooden clothespin with white craft paint. Let dry and apply a second coat, if necessary.
- Measure and cut a scrap of white cardstock 6” by 3.5”. Dry fit the regular craft sticks as follows: three red, three white, three red, three white, and three red. Place the one white jumbo craft stick at the bottom as the hat brim.
- Attach the white jumbo craft stick to the bottom of the cardstock with a glue gun and glue sticks. Continue to glue the regular craft sticks to the cardstock, alternating three red and three white.
- Measure and cut white cardstock into 3” by 5” rectangles. Pick out your favorite Cate in the Ht and Dr. Seuss quotes.
- Using red and blue markers, hand letter your favorite quotes onto the 3” by 5” rectangles of cardstock. Outline with a black marker, using a loose and sketchy style, like the Cat in Hat illustrations.
- Attach the hand lettered quotes to the craft stick hat with the mini clothespin to create a display for Read Across America Week.
For more lesson plan ideas, check these out:
- Home Daycare Activities (That You Can Prep in 5 Minutes or Less)
- Butterfly Life Cycle Lesson Plan for Kids
- Caterpillar and Butterfly Theme for Preschool
- Gardening and Plant Theme for Preschool
- Preschool Pumpkin Theme
- Valentine’s Day Theme for Preschool
- Dental Health Theme for Preschool
- Mess Free Activities for Toddlers