This page may contain affiliate links. Learn More.
This Devil’s food cupcake recipe is my favorite. This recipe is so dark and rich, everyone always asks for my recipe. It’s an old fashioned dessert that grandma would be proud of!
A few months ago, we had a daycare home tour in our childcare. I served these devil’s food cupcakes and some fresh pico with veggies from the garden for some fun snacks. My friends were crazy about these cupcakes and eager for the recipe, so here it is. Enjoy!
Devil’s food cupcakes with buttercream
People always ask me what kind of frosting is good on devil’s food cupcakes. I love chocolate buttercream, the recipe is with the cupcake recipe below. I mean, the buttery lusciousness of buttercream is hard to beat, am I right?
If you serve these devil’s food cupcakes at your next event, you’ll be the life of the party. Real food ingredients taste so good. You will be glad you tried them and they’ll be your go-to cupcake recipe too!
For tips on baking the perfect cupcake, click here. There are a few tweaks you can make to help your cakes and cupcakes turn out right. Check it out. You can even make your own homemade chocolate extract that bumps up the layers of dark chocolate flavor in these yummy treats. It’s fun, easy, and so fancy.
Another great thing about this devil’s food cupcake recipe, besides the amazing flavor, is how simple they are to make. You can mix everything in one bowl for the cake, rinse it out, and use it to make the frosting. I love one-bowl cakes! I mean, I really love fewer dishes when baking, don’t you? No fuss, no muss.
For more yummy chocolate homemade desserts, check these out:
- Grandma’s chocolate pie
- Decadent chocolate brownies
- Dark chocolate poke cake with marshmallow frosting
The Best Homemade Devil’s Food Cupcake Recipe
- 2 c raw sugar (you can substitute white sugar here)
- 2 c flour
- 1/2 c cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 c milk
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1/2 c coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick room temperature butter
- 1/4 c heavy cream
- 1 T vanilla
- 5 c powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat Oven to 350.
- In a bowl dump sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda.
- All at once add milk, sour cream, coconut oil, and 2 tsp vanilla.
- Mix for two minutes.
- Add eggs and mix 2 minutes more.
- Pour batter into cupcake papers to 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350 for 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- For Frosting whip butter until light and fluffy.
- Add cream, vanilla, salt, and 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
- Beat until well mixed.
- Add remaining powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Frost cupcakes when completely cool
I hope you get the chance to make this devil’s food cupcake recipe for your family soon! They’re going to love them.