Cooking with Kids-Ice Cream in a Bag Recipe
This page may contain affiliate links. Learn More.
Ice cream is a super fun treat. Kids mixing their own with this ice cream in a bag recipe is even more fun. Kids learn science, sensory, and motor skills. It just takes a little planning to learn how to teach kids cooking classes.
You need a gallon sized zip lock bag and a quart sized bag, some rock salt, ice and ice cream ingredients. I have made this ice cream in a bag with my kids several times and it’s always so much fun!
It’s also good motor skill building since they have to put in the work to get the reward. The sensory experience of the cold ice, the smooth plastic, and the sweet, yummy smelling ice cream is awesome as well. And SCIENCE is involved in watching the reaction of the milk as it turns from liquid to solid as it freezes.
Ice cream in a bag science
Why does it work? When ice comes in contact with salt, it causes the ice to melt, then the ice freeze point is a lower temperature, so it will freeze faster. This causes the ingredients in the bag to freeze when the warmer cream mixture is moved around against the ice. As you stir or shake and squeeze it, the ice cream freezes evenly causing it to have a creamy texture.
This activity has so much to offer kids, plus they get a yummy, chemical-free snack from the deal in the end. Who doesn’t love a super fun dessert? Ice cream in a bag science rocks!
Ice cream in a baggie
Ice Cream in a Bag
- 1/2 C. Heavy cream
- 1/2 C. Whole milk
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
- 2 T. Raw Sugar
- Quart Size zip lock bag
- Gallon Size zip lock bag
- 6 C. Ice
- 1/4 C. Rock Salt
- Wash hands and have kids wash theirs.
- Hold quart size bag open and let kids pour cream, milk, vanilla and sugar into bag.
- Zip bag tightly for each child.
- Let child place ice cream back into gallon sized bag.
- Let child add 1/4 c rock salt in the gallon bag outside of the small bag and then add several handfuls of ice.
- Zip gallon bag tightly for each child.
- Let them shake for 5 minutes vigorously until ice cream is firm.
- Remove quart bags from gallon bags carefully making sure not to spill salty liquid.
- Place quart bags in freezer until ready to eat.
- Snip bottom corner from bag with scissors and squeeze ice cream into dish.
- Eat and enjoy!
Ice cream in a bag for kids
Whip up a batch of this super fun treat, or check out the blog for other great cooking with kids recipes and activities. Cooking is a wonderful way for kids to learn so many things including healthy eating, trying new foods, math, science, and reading skills and so much more. Get your kids in the kitchen today. Click here to see why it’s so important!
For more recipes kids can make, click here.
This is so super super great to do this with them!!! Thank you ??? I know they lived it !!
ah, thanks so much, they did have a great time. Thank you for reading it! 🙂