Mac and Cheese Recipe with Real Food
I have searched and searched for a great mac and cheese recipe for years and I have finally figured it out! I don’t want to serve my kids (or myself) processed cheese food, (Velveta) I want to serve them real food ingredients.
Every recipe I saw for using real cheeses called for you to make a roux with flour and butter, and then add liquid and make a sauce and melt the cheese into it. I just never liked it. If you want a recipe with roux, check this healthy mac and cheese.
Whole Food Mac and Cheese Recipe
A few weeks ago I decided to try one more time to make up something on my own. So I cooked some elbow noodles and got busy creating a sauce. I took some milk and heated it in a pan on the stove.
I added a half a packet of cream cheese and a half a cup of sour cream and whisked it into the milk. Then I added shredded cheeses and seasonings. It turned out amazing. I super loved it!
I used a mixture of the cheeses I had to work with including cheddar and mozzarella and a little bit of Parmesan. It was the best macaroni and cheese I’ve ever had and there are no chemicals involved. It was a win win.
Any post on this blog may contain affiliate links which pay me a very small commission for items you purchase using the links but costs you nothing extra. I can help defray a small percentage of the cost of producing the blog to share information with you.
Creamy Homemade Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound of elbow macaroni
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 3 T. butter
- 3 cups shredded cheese, 2 cups mozzarella, 1 cup cheddar
- ¾ tsp salt
- Grated Parmesan to taste
- Cook pasta according to package instructions and drain. I like my pasta al dente.
- Pour milk into large saucepan and heat.
- When milk is starting to get warm, add butter, sour cream and cream cheese.
- Cook and stir on medium heat until incorporated.
- Add shredded cheese and cook stirring constantly.
- Add salt and pasta and stir to coat.
Click here to check out more top kid’s meals that aren’t junk.
Healthy dinners for your family
Be sure to pin this to save it for later!