Learning Shapes and Colors Alien Activity
This page may contain affiliate links. Learn More.
Teach your kids colors, shapes, counting, and cutting with this fun set of shapes and colors alien created from simple supplies from the Dollar Store! It’s a great activity for your home daycare that doesn’t cost much at all. And you can use them over and over again.
If you’re after a space themed activity for your toddlers and preschoolers, here’s an out of this world alien activity they can make or you can make for them that they can use over and over again. Everything you need to make it comes right from the dollar store, so it won’t eat up your budget either. You probably already have all the supplies to make these shapes and colors alien crafts.
Aliens and imagining about space is so much fun. Weren’t we all obsessed with space travel and life on other planets as kids (or we still are). So you can have some fun with these cute little space creatures while you teach the kids math, counting, patterns, colors, shapes, and more.
Kids can learn shapes with these shape aliens and call out the name of the shape as they play. They can also put all the aliens of one shape in a pile together.
For more ideas about how to teach shapes, counting, and colors, check out these shape bean bag ideas too. Or make your kids some molded shape crayons with your old broken crayons.
With this fun alien activity, our kids can learn:
- Color recognition
- Fine motor skills
- Language development
Play is a powerful tool. Check out these dramatic play ideas too. Or the benefits of outdoor play.
Use these bright and colorful Dollar Store Shape & Color Aliens as bookmarks, puppets, or even as flashcards. The possibilities are endless!
Kids can learn colors with the aliens too and make patterns like red, blue, red, blue or blue, orange, orange, blue, orange orange. It helps them learn what comes next. You can match the aliens to something the same color in the room to reinforce the color you’re working on. You can say, take the blue alien over by the barbie. The possibilities are limitless.
And you can use the opportunity to create natural learning moments rather than quizzing kids in a flash card style of teaching. It’s more fun and more relaxed for them so they learn more.
These alien shapes are great for toddlers on up. They are inexpensive to make and can be used over and over again or sent home with the kids for a take home project.
For more ways to use craft sticks, check these out:
- How to Make a Catapult from Popsicle Sticks
- Popsicle Stick Snowflake Ornament
- Pom Pom Christmas Tree Ornaments for Kids to Make
- Cat in the Hat Hat Craft
- Craft Stick Alien Flying Saucers
If you love aliens, check out these space themed Valentine cards too! And check out more alien themed activities here.
TIP: To stay organized, store the remaining loose craft supplies, like craft ticks and wiggle eyes, in separate zip top sandwich bags.
Shapes and Colors Alien Craft
Dollar Store Shape and Color Alien Craft for Preschoolers
- Craft Sticks Jumbo
- Colored Paper
- Wiggle Eyes
- Chenille Stems
- Washable Marker Black
- Glue Stick
- Glue Gun and Glue Sticks – Low Temp Works Best
- DOLLAR STORE SHAPE AND COLOR ALIEN PATTERNS
- Download, print and cut out Dollar Store Shape and Color Alien Patterns. Trace shape patterns onto a rainbow of colored papers with a black washable marker.
- Cut out all traced shape patterns with scissors. Cut inside the traced lines for a clean, finished project.
- Lay out a variety of sizes of wiggle eyes onto the color paper shapes. Starting with one and working up to six, attach wiggle eyes to colored paper shapes with a glue stick. Draw different mouths on each Alien with a black washable marker.
- Measure, cut and bend chenille stems into a variety of Alien antenna shapes. Attach the chenille stem antenna to the back of each Alien with the glue gun and glue sticks.
- Flip Aliens over on your work surface. Attach one jumbo craft stick to the bottom center of each Alien shape with a glue gun and glue sticks.