How to Make Heart Seed Bombs
This page may contain affiliate links. Learn More.
Homemade heart seed bombs are a fun project for the kids. This is a perfect rainy day activity that the kids can get their hands on.
And they can plant them and watch them grow! These would also make great gifts for Valentine’s day. Who wouldn’t love to plant some flowers in the spring?
What are seed bombs?
Seed bombs are seeds that are packaged together in paper, clay, or some other medium that makes them stick together. They can be thrown into any space you want to grow and either buried or left on the ground where the rain will cause them to germinate.
Seed germination for kids
Teaching kids about germination is a great science activity for them. Growing seeds is full of magic and wonder and germination is the reason I fell right in love with growing things. It’s an incredible process. I’m still in awe of it every time. The garden is full of learning. Gardening with kids teaches them immeasurable knowledge.
Check out more garden activities to do with kids here:
- 30 Garden Activities for Kids
- Kids Garden Ideas
- Garden Games for Kids
- Children’s Garden Daycare
- 4 Steps to Start a Children’s Garden in Your Daycare
- Compost for Kids (even Preschoolers)
Kids planting seeds
Kids can plant seeds in many ways. They can plant them one by one which is easier with bigger seeds. They can plant them in a broadcast method which works well with really small seeds. You can mix tiny lettuce or carrot seeds in sand and then let kids shake them out of a shaker with big holes like the ones parmesan cheese comes in. And they can also make seed paper or seed bombs like these heart seed bombs.
You’ll just need flower seeds, construction paper, scissors, water, and this heart mold. You’ll also need a good food processor.
Heart Seed Bombs
- 6 pieces of construction paper any color
- 3 packs of flower seeds
- 12 cavity heart mold
- Food processor
- Cut the construction paper into 1-2 inch squares, and sort them by color.
- Add each color of cut up construction paper to a small bowl and add water until it covers the paper.
- Allow paper to soak for 30 minutes.
- Remove the paper from the water, and wring it out slightly. Dump water from bowls.
- Add one color at a time to the food processor, and pulse until it’s finely shredded.
- Add each color paper into its bowl, and add a half package of flower seeds. Mix it all together.
- Gather half of each color mixture and add to one of the heart mold cavities, pressing down to fill the mold.
- Allow to set for about 48 hours.
- Gently remove from mold. If not completely dry, air dry for an additional 24 hours.
- Plant the seed bombs into flower pots, or into the ground.