This page may contain affiliate links. Learn More.
Using just two simple supplies from the Dollar Store, create this quick and easy Craft Stick Building Set with the kiddos in just 5 minutes. Another 5 minute prep activity for daycare.
Running a home daycare can be hard, but with activities for daycare like this one, you will be one step ahead of the game. You can whip this up in about 5 minutes, and pull it out in a pinch over and over again when the kids need to redirect to another task.
For more 5-minute daycare helps, check these out:
Are you looking for hands-on ways to teach shapes to your little learners? Building shapes with craft sticks is a fun and activity your kids will love. They’ll be building reading, writing, and math skills while playing. They also learn science and engineering. It’s the ultimate STEM idea. Show your little builders how they can make their own building set using craft sticks and velcro dots.
Craft stick projects
If you need more inexpensive ideas with craft sticks, check these out:
- Pom Pom Christmas Tree Ornaments for Kids to Make
- Craft Stick Alien Flying Saucers
- Popsicle Stick Snowflake Ornament
- Craft Stick Valentine Butterfly Craft
- Craft stick ideas for kids
This activity is intended for independent play alone or with multiple children, or even as an adult/child interaction. Enjoy this colorful fun with your kids.
Dollar Store Craft Stick Building Set
- Rainbow Craft Sticks Jumbo – Dollar Store
- Hook and Loop Fastener Dots Dollar Store (Velcro dots)
- SHAPE AND COLOR FLASH CARD FREE PRINTABLE
- Gather all supplies. Remove jumbo rainbow-colored craft sticks and the hook and loop fastener dots from their packaging. You will need two sets of hook and loop fastener tabs for each craft stick.
- Peel the hook (scratchy) fastener tab from the backing paper and apply to one end of the craft stick. Flip the craft stick over, peel the loop (soft) fastener tab from the backing paper and apply to the opposite side of the craft stick.
- Repeat the above step with the opposite end of the craft stick making sure to reverse the application. Each side of the craft stick should have one hook and one loop fastener tab. Each end of the craft stick should have one hook and one loop fastener tab.
- Continue attaching the hook and loop fastener tabs to the rainbow-colored craft sticks until each one has two hook fastener tabs and two loop fastener tabs. These fastener tabs are self-adhesive which makes this craft quick and easy to complete.
- Download and print the free printable SHAPE AND COLOR FLASH CARDS. Cut apart with scissors, and let the kiddos start building. After working on shapes, colors and counting, let their imaginations run wild and build whatever they want.
Create this quick and easy Dollar Store Craft Stick Building Set to make learning FUN! Place it in a zipper-top plastic bag and take it on the go. This is the perfect quiet activity that the kids will never get bored with because the creative possibilities are endless!
You can print out the patterns below and have the kids build the shapes on them or let them free style and make up their own creations.
For more activities for home daycare, check these out: