Coffee Filter Mermaid Bookmark Craft
This page may contain affiliate links. Learn More.
Coffee filters, washable markers, and glitter glue from the Dollar Store transform into a fun and vibrant Mermaid Bookmark Craft perfect for a home daycare activity.
There are a ton of preschool crafts and activities that you can do while running a home daycare. They can be done with what you already have on hand at home. And many of them are made with inexpensive supplies from the dollar store. Even ones that take 5 minutes or less to prep. Check out some ideas here:
- Printable Toddler Activities for Daycare
- Mess Free Activities for Toddlers
- Home Daycare Crafts and Activities for Holidays
- Craft Stick Building Set for Preschool
- Cat in the Hat Hat Craft
- 15 Paper Plate Crafts for Kids
- Pine Cone Crafts for Kids
Coffee filter crafts
There are a lot of fun and easy coffee filter crafts that preschoolers can enjoy! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
These are just a few ideas to get you started, but there are many more coffee filter crafts that preschoolers can enjoy!
Kids love mermaids! Don’t they? So this is a perfect activity to get their creativity going. There are many benefits to making a mermaid craft with kids! Here are a few reasons why it can be a fun and educational activity:
- Encourages Creativity: Making a mermaid craft allows kids to use their imagination and be creative. They can choose the colors, decorations, and other elements that they want to include in their mermaid, which can help to develop their artistic skills.
- Improves Fine Motor Skills: Mermaid crafts often involve cutting, gluing, and other fine motor skills that can help to improve hand-eye coordination and dexterity in young children.
- Promotes Storytelling: Mermaids are a popular mythological creature, and making a craft allows children to explore the world of mermaids and create their own stories and adventures.
- Builds Social Skills: Making a mermaid craft with other children can promote teamwork and cooperation. Children can help each other with cutting, gluing, and decorating, which can help them to build relationships and develop social skills.
These mermaid bookmarks are perfect for your ocean lesson plans and more. For more ocean ideas, check these out:
Mermaid crafts for preschool
Dollar Store Coffee Filter Mermaid Bookmark Craft
- Coffee Filters – Dollar Store
- Washable Markers Pink, Purple, Green, Blue – Dollar Store
- Cardstock White – Dollar Store
- Glue Stick or Adhesive Runner – Dollar Store
- Glitter Glue Blue, Green, Clear – Dollar Store
- Gallon Size Zipper Bag OR Metal Baking Sheet Pan – Dollar Store
- Scallop Craft Scissors
- Water Spray Bottle
- MERMAID BOOKMARK PATTERNS
- Flatten the round coffee filters and add color in a variety of patterns with washable markers in mermaid colors. Place on a gallon size zipper bag or metal baking sheet pan and then mist with a water spray bottle. Watch the magic as the colors blend and swirl! Set aside to dry.
- Download and print the MERMAID BOOKMARK PATTERS. Cut out each mermaid tail shape with scissors. Trace onto heavier cardstock paper and cut out again with scissors. Select two tie-dyed coffee filters that are color coordinated, one lighter and one darker.
- Trace the mermaid fin on the tie-dyed coffee filter, cut out with scissors and attach to the cardstock bookmark base with a glue stick or adhesive runner. Repeat with the top edge of the mermaid tail bookmark, and then cut the rest of the coffee filters into strips approximately one-half inch wide.
- Cut one edge of each tie-dyed coffee filter strip with decorative scallop scissors. Starting at the bottom fin, attach strips of mermaid scales to the bookmark with a glue stick or adhesive runner. Overlap each strip on top of the previous strip until the entire bookmark is covered. Flip bookmark over and trim away excess coffee filter with scissors.
- Add a bit of sparkle and shine with glitter glue scallops and lines. Set aside to dry. Add names to the back with markers or even letter stickers.