15 Ways to Organize Your Way to a Better Day
Do you spend your days and weeks feeling like you are chasing your tail? You may just need to organize to be able to handle all you have to do in a day. If you carefully plan your day and organize all of your needs, you will feel in control and on top of things instead of spending all your time putting out fires.
HOW can I get organized you ask?
It’s not as hard as you think. It’s about prioritizing and planning ahead.
- One of the best things I can recommend is to make sure you take time for you. Whatever it takes and whenever you can get it in, you need to take at least 20 minutes a day to take care of you. If you spend all your time and energy caring for everyone else, you will not be able to continue to do a good job. No one else is going to take care of you, it’s your job.
- My second piece of advice is to put away the electronics. Facebook, television, Pinterest, and games are a HUGE time suck. Less of that means more time to get on top of what needs to be done. I promise, you won’t miss it. Leave the TV off and enjoy more living and less watching.
- Make out a schedule of the hours in a day and a list of all your priorities.
- Now, most importantly you need to make sure you are getting enough sleep so you will be able to function at peak performance. You need 7-8 hours of sleep per night, so go ahead and start at the time you usually get up. Go back at least an hour earlier (I promise this will help you tremendously) and mark off the 8 hours before that for sleeping. If you usually get up at 7 to get to work by 8, plan to get up at 6. Then mark off the hours from 10-6 for sleeping. At least TRY to get this much rest.
- Now, mark off how much time you need to get ready for work.
- Now you are ready for work. You can take some time to work out, take a walk, read your Bible or spend time in the quiet, whatever you do to center yourself and prepare for your day, schedule 30 minutes for that.
- Next, make something for breakfast and EAT it. If you don’t fuel your mind and body, it will not keep up with you. Schedule breakfast time.
- Leave 15 minutes earlier than you need to so if you get stuck in traffic or have some other distraction, you will still be on time for work. Less stress equals a better life!
- The best thing to do is get as much ready the night before as possible. I totally recommend advance preparation. You’ll be amazed at how much more effective you are if you do this.
- When you get off work, you need to figure out what’s for dinner and get that going. Eating dinner sitting down at the dining room table has been proven to help families connect and build relationships. Make sure that’s a priority as much as you possibly can. Get dinner prepared, eat, and enjoy your family. While you are cleaning up dinner, you can pack lunches as well. You might as well get as much done as possible while you have the mess out.
- Next comes homework and bath time for the kids if you have them. Get all of the paperwork you need together for them. Once the kids are taken care of, make sure you get your clothes and their clothes prepared for the following day. Do you need to iron something? Do you need to pick out and outfit for them or are they old enough to do it themselves? Do you need to throw in a load of laundry?
- Once everything is prepared for the following day, you can tidy up the messes in the house (enlist your family to help in all of these tasks, helping builds character and teaches kids self-help skills and discipline)
- Now you have some time to sit and relax. It’s so nice to relax when all of the work is done and everything is in order for the day. You’ll be amazed how much being prepared with help improve the quality of your life. Notice I did NOT say to watch 5 hours of tv or sit on Facebook all night long. Building the relationships at home is the first priority.
- I don’t watch a ton of tv because I have a ton to do. Honestly, there are not that many things I enjoy watching. Most shows are so trashy these days, there is not a lot of value in them. I do enjoy a few things and I usually watch tv for a few minutes before heading to bed because it numbs my mind and makes it stop thinking. I need that to relax enough for sleep sometimes.
- Another great way to wind down is to rub a little lavender essential oil on your feet. I love it because It calms me and helps me fall asleep. I know that I am a much better spouse, mother, provider and human when I am rested. For the sake of everyone around me, I make sleep a top priority. Please don’t ask my mom about this. I have been pretty bad when I was sleepy before.
Make sure you are taking care of you. Make sure you make yourself a priority. Make sure you get plenty of sleep and are taking the time to drink plenty of water and eat nutritious food.
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Making a list of what has to be done and putting it in order of importance can help you tame an overwhelming list of to dos.
I promise if you take charge of your day, it will stop ruling you and you will feel on top of things and in control. It’s a wonderful feeling!
Here are a couple of other great posts about how organization can help you live better:
Be sure to pin this to save it for later!