Real Food Mac and Cheese
I have searched and searched for a great mac and cheese recipe for years. Usually, I don’t like homemade mac and cheese because it is kind of pasty and not as creamy as I like. I don’t want to serve my kids (or myself) processed cheese food, I want to serve them real food ingredients. Every recipe I saw for using real cheeses called for you to make a roux with flour and butter, and then add liquid and make a sauce and melt the cheese into it. I just never liked it.
A few weeks ago I decided to try one more time to make up something on my own. So I cooked some elbow noodles and got busy creating a sauce. I took some milk and heated it in a pan. I added a half a packet of cream cheese and a half a cup of sour cream and whisked it into the milk. Then I added shredded cheeses and seasonings. It turned out amazing. I super loved it! I used a mixture of the cheeses I had to work with including cheddar and mozzarella and a little bit of Parmesan. It was the best macaroni and cheese I’ve ever had and there are no chemicals involved. It was a win win.
Here’s my recipe for Homemade Mac and Cheese, I hope you love it too!
- 1 pound of elbow macaroni
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 3 T. butter
- 3 cups shredded cheese, 2 cups mozzarella, 1 cup cheddar
- ¾ tsp salt
- Grated Parmesan to taste
- Cook pasta according to package instructions and drain. I like my pasta al dente.
- Pour milk into large saucepan and heat.
- When milk is starting to get warm, add butter, sour cream and cream cheese.
- Cook and stir on medium heat until incorporated.
- Add shredded cheese and cook stirring constantly.
- Add salt and pasta and stir to coat.