Garden Fresh Pico de Gallo and Heavenly Devil’s Food Cupcakes
Yesterday my childcare organization put on a home daycare tour for providers to share ideas. They drove in a caravan from childcare home to childcare home and stopped in here to tour the kid’s garden. It was so much fun! I whipped up a few goodies for them to snack on when they came and they LOVED them. So today I’m sharing the recipes for them. These are good any time! The pico is especially delicious when it’s made with garden fresh ingredients. So good!
- 3 C . Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Diced Onion
- 1 or 2 Diced Hot Peppers of your choice
- 1 Clove Garlic
- Zest and Juice of 1 Lime
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Handful of Fresh Cilantro
Dice up tomatoes, onions, peppers and garlic as finely as possible. Zest lime over mixture and squeeze juice over. Chop up cilantro and add with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Heavenly Devil's Food Cupcakes
- 2 C. Raw Sugar
- 2 C. Flour
- 1/2 C. Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 1/4 C. Milk
- 1/2 C. Sour Cream
- 1/2 C. Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 2 tsp. Vanilla
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Stick Room Temperature Butter
- 1/4 C. Heavy Cream
- 1 T. Vanilla
- 5 C. Powdered Sugar
- Preheat Oven to 350.
- In a bowl dump sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda. Combine. All at once add milk, sour cream, coconut oil, and vanilla. Mix for two minutes. Add eggs and mix 2 minutes more. Pour batter into cupcake papers to 2/3 full. Bake at 350 for 18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- For Frosting whip butter until light and fluffy. Add cream, vanilla, and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Beat until well mixed. Add remaining powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes when completely cool.
Raw sugar is not as processed as white sugar which gives additional nutrients to the recipe. Coconut oil is solid at room temperature and liquid when heated. Extra virgin coconut oil has a slight coconutty flavor which I love in these cupcakes. You can substitute another oil, butter, or shortening for this, but coconut oil is a healthier choice.
If you want to check out the daycare home tour, click here.